lørdag 22. august 2026

A Visit to Lund, Sweden with some Thoughts about Pizza

 

I visited Lund in Skåne recently actually the first visit since I lived in the area 25 years ago. As many may know, Lund was part of Denmark for many centuries and became a part of the Kingdom of Sweden in 1658. 








As a result of this conquest the University of Lund was founded mainly to supply the necessary civil servants that were loyal to the Swedish Crown, especially priests for the Lutheran Church. 

In the late 90s I lived on the  outskirts of the city and worked for some months at The University of Lund, Netlab on tasks related to advanced search portals for academic libraries  funded by the European Union.

This trip was strictly private, and meant a visit to some of the main features of the city : the Cathedral of Lund, the Historic Museum and the Botanical Gardens which are extensive and beautiful.


Traditionally cities with a great number of students have had many somewhat simple and inexpensive food offerings.  I was fortunate to have tried some excellent restaurants  where the food was decidedly high quality. At Taperian I enjoyed an excellent dish based on lightly cured and seared tuna with spices on salad greens. 

As to Chinese food Mui Gong is one of the more authentic Chinese restaurants in the Nordic region. Excellent dumplings and Sichuanese soup.



Good pizza is one of my favorite foods often the most traditional without any embellishments: The Margherita. I grew up on Long Island in the USA and have fond memories of New York Style Pizza both on Staten Island and in Lindenhurst, New York. My hometown of Kristiansand has over the last decades experienced a growth in restaurants that serve good to excellent pizza. Some of the Best: Bellini, Herlige Land, and Pizza Show.

At restaurant Ved in Lund close to the main square I must say that I enjoyed the very best Neapolitan pizza I have had anywhere in the world. I must admit that I have only eaten pizza in Naples once but the quality of the dough, cheese and tomato sauce were just right!


Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar